The Ghana Medical and Dental Council is an agency of the Ghana government responsible for regulating the standards of training and practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana. It is located in Accra the capital city of Ghana
The Medical and Dental Council is a statutory body responsible for securing in the public interest the highest level of training and practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana. A Practitioner (doctor) is a person registered under the Medical and Dental Council Decree (1972) NRCD 91 to practice medicine or dentistry in Ghana.
The Council Shall in particular
- Ensure that courses of study and training in medicine or dentistry at any medical school or University in Ghana are such as can sufficiently guarantee possession of the knowledge and skill needed for the efficient practice of medicine or dentistry;
- Prescribe standards of professional conduct;
- Uphold and enforce such standards by the disciplinary powers conferred upon it by this Decree;
- Be responsible for the keeping of registers of duly qualified practitioners
The Council�shall be responsible for securing in the public interest the highest standards in the practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana.
An internationally acclaimed competent regulatory authority for medical and dental practice in Ghana, for the public good.
- Ensuring the highest level of training of Medical and Dental Practitioners
- Determining the adequacy & quality of service facilities.