The directorate is responsible for planning and development of Traditional and Alternative Medicines policy in the country. It monitors and evaluates the delivery of traditional and alternative health care in the country.
To ensure effective development and integration of Traditional and Alternative Medicine as a distinctive medical practice system within the National Health Care System.
It consists of the following units:
- Human Resource Development and Training
- Information, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Traditional/Alternative Medicine Practice
- Initiates the formulation of policies on Traditional and Alternative Medicine.
- Organizes and monitors Traditional and Alternative Medicine Practices within the public sector.
- Collaborates with appropriate agencies to determine which Traditional and Alternative Medicine practices are safe and efficacious.
- Support Traditional and Alternative Medicine practices through mobilization of resources.
- Liaises with the statutory bodies for the regulation and control of Traditional and Alternative Medicine products and practices and to provide support in the performance of their functions.
- Promotes and co-ordinates research into all aspects of traditional and alternative medicine.
- Promotes and formulates plans for the Health Insurance coverage for Traditional and Alternative Medicine.
- Liaises with relevant agencies to promote the cultivation of medicinal plants on a sustainable basis.
- Develop policies and guidelines for the training of Traditional and Alternative Medicine practitioners.
- Liaises with relevant agencies to ensure that mechanisms exist for the patenting of formulations in Traditional and Alternative medicine.
- Facilitates collaboration and co-operation between traditional and alternative and allopathic medicine practitioners within the context of the Health Care delivery system.
- Maintains a database for Traditional and Alternative Medicine practices and services.
- Organizes public education in support of Traditional and alternative medicines.