The Directorate of PPME is responsible for coordination of policy formulation, strategic planning, resource allocation and budgeting in the Ministry. It initiates reviews of health legislation for regulating the practice and delivery of health services in the country. It is responsible for the overall monitoring and evaluation of the performance of the health sector in the country.
It consists of the following units:
- Policy and Analysis
- Planning and Budgeting
- Capital Investment Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Private Sector Unit
- Biomedical Engineering Unit
Policy, Planning and Budgeting Unit
- Initiates and co-ordinates the strategic planning process for the health sector.
- Prepares guidelines for planning and budgeting in the Ministry of Health.
- Develops guidelines for performance contracting in health service delivery.
- Co-ordinates external Aid/assistance from Development partners to the health sector.
- Monitors the implementation of the budget.
- Conducts investment analysis within the health sector.
- Develops financial/budget resource allocation criteria and allocates them to all Agencies in the sector.
- Coordinates the preparation of the health sector annual budget.
- To undertake periodic review of the activities of the Ministry and its agencies.
- To provide information and database on health facilities
Monitoring and Evaluation Unit
- Monitors the performance of the Agencies of the Ministry of Health.
- Develops a system of linking resource allocation to service output.
- Monitors the operations of the budget
Capital Investment Management Unit
This unit is responsible for the following:
- Develops criteria and guidelines for capital investment planning and performance appraisal for technical reviews and monitoring.
- Coordinates the management and implementation of all projects in the health sector.
- Serves as the nerve Centre for information and database on the development of health infrastructure facilities.
- Assists the sector in the procurement of civil works and health care technology/equipment.
- A review project proposals from external financial sources and facilitates value for Money audits on turnkey projects.
- Coordinates the preparation of Capital Investment plans for the health sector.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of the investment budget of the Ministry undertakes needs assessment.